From Gorkhapedia, the free Gorkha Encyclopedia that anyone can edit
|Allied Category||Nepali Literature|
|Bishnu Kumari Waiba 'Parijat'|
|Died||16th April 1992|
|Literary Movement||Ralfa Literary Movement|
|Awards||Madan Puraskar - 1992|
Bishnu Kumari Waiba, who used the pen-name Parijat (1937-1993) was a poetess and a novelist. Her most acclaimed publication was शिरिषको फूल - Siris Ko Phul (Blue Mimosa), which has also been adapted in the literature curriculum of some colleges in English speaking countries. Almost life long she carried a paralyzing sickness with much dignity and strength till her ultimate demise.
Early life and education
Parijat was born in 1937 in Darjeeling. Her mother Amrita Moktan died early in her life. Parijat was thus raised by her father and her paternal grandparents. Her father Dr. K. S. Lama was psychologist.
Parijat completed most of her schooling in Darjeeling. She completed her Bachelor of Arts Degree from Kathmandu, Nepal. At the age of 26, she became paralyzed and for the rest of her life was to require physical assistance.
In 1959, Parijat's poem was first published by Dharti. She published three poetry collections: Akanshya, Parijat Ko Kavita, and Baisalu Bartaman. Her first short story was "Mailey Najanmayeko Choro". She is, however, best known in Nepal as a novelist. Altogether, she wrote ten novels of which Siris ko Ful gained the greatest popularity. In 1965, she was awarded with the Madan Puraskar for the novel. She also received the Sarwashrestha Pandulipi Puraskar, Gandaki Basunahara Puraskar, and Bridabrit. It is one of the most important piece of work in the whole of Nepalese literature.
She was elected a member of the Tribhuwan University and was a part of Ralfa literature movement. She also played an important role in the establishment of Pragati Sil Lekhan Sangh and worked for Akhil Nepal Mahila Manch, Bandi Sahayata Niyog, and Nepal Manav Adhikar Sangathan.
Parijat remained unmarried and continued to suffer physical setbacks. While she was contributing to literature, she also tried to support social causes and initiated attempts like Prisoners' Assistance Mission. She died in 1993 but is a widely popular writer in Nepal.
- शिरिषको फूल Shirishko Phool(The Blue Mimosa)
- महत्ताहिन Mahattahin
- परिभाषित आँखाहरु Paribhasit Aankhaharu
- बैशको मान्छे Baissko Manche
- तोरीबारी, बाटा, र सपनाहरु Toribari, Bata Ra Sapanaharu
- अन्तर्मुखी Antarmukhi
- उसले रोजेको बाटो Usle Rojeko Bato
- पर्खाल भित्र र बाहिर Parkhal Bhitra Ra Bahir
- अनिदो पहाड संगै Anido Pahadsungai
- बोनी Boni
- मैले नजन्माएको छोरो Maile Najanmayeko Choro
- Short story collections
- आदिम देश Aadim Desh
- सडक र प्रतिभा Sadak Ra Pratibha
- साल्गीको बलात्कृत आँसु Salgiko Balatkrit Aashu
- बधशाला जाँदा आउँदा Badhsala Jadaaunda
- आकांक्षा Akanshya
- पारिजातका कविता Parijat Ka Kavita
- बैशालु वर्तमान Baisalu Bartaman
- Memoir esaays
- धूपी, सल्ला र लालीगुराँसको फेदमा Dhupi Salla Ra Laliguransko Fedma
- एउटा चित्रमय सुरुवात Auta Chitramay Shuruvat