From Gorkhapedia, the free Gorkha Encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
|University of North Bengal|
|Vice Chancellor||Prof. Debayan Pal|
|Location||Raja Rammohanpur, Siliguri, District of Darjeeling|
|Affiliation||University Grants Commission|
University of North Bengal (Bengali: উত্তরবঙ্গ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a state university situated near Siliguri in Darjeeling district in the Indian state of West Bengal. The university was established in 1962 with a goal to disseminate knowledge to fulfill growing socio-economic and technical manpower needs in the six North Bengal districts and the neighbouring state of Sikkim. Currently, colleges from three districts- Cooch Behar, Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling district are affiliated to this university. North Bengal University offer degrees in Undergraduate, Post graduate, M. Phil and Doctorate programs.
The University of North Bengal was established by Act of the Legislature of West Bengal in 1962. This was the first university in the region. The University has played a pioneering role since inception in spreading higher education and scientific attitudes within the predominantly rural areas that comprise its vast jurisdictional territory.
- Prof. B.N. Dasgupta
- Prof. Amlan Dutta
- Prof. Prasad Ghosh
- Prof. K.N Chatterjee
- Prof. Ranju Gopal Mukherjee
- Prof. Pijush Kanti Saha
- Prof. Arunabha Basumajumdar
The campus of the university is spread over an area of 330 acres and lie between Siliguri and Bagdogra airport, in the Terai region. Over 36,000 undergraduate and over 1500 postgraduate students and scholars enroll at different courses under the University every year. Students come from North Bengal, rest of West Bengal, Sikkim, Bihar and also from SAARC nations like Bhutan, Nepal and Bangladesh.
North Bengal University has twenty-three departments organised into two faculties: Science and Arts, Commerce and Law Faculty.
- Faculty of Science: This faculty has ten departments. This faculty offers courses on science subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Zoology, Botany, Geography and Applied Geography, Computer Science and Applications, Anthropology, Bio-technology, and Microbiology.
- Faculty of Arts, Commerce and Law: This faculty consists of 14 departments offering courses on four languages (English, Bengali, Nepali and Hindi), Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Philosophy, History, Strategic & Area Studies, Commerce, Law, Library Science, Adult Continuing Education Extension & Field Outreach.
The university offers affiliation to a number of research and academic centres within and outside the campus.
- Centre for Development Studies
- Centre for High Energy & Cosmic Ray
- Centre for Remote Sensing Application
- Centre for Tea Management
- Centre for Mass Communication
- Centre for Himalayan Studies
- Centre for Women's Studies
- Centre for Studies in Local Language and Culture
- Professor Nurul Hassan Centre for Management Studies
- Centre for Tourism and Hotel Management
- Centre for Marketing Management
- Centre for Ambedkar Studies
The university has several affiliated colleges under its umbrella. These colleges spread over three districts of North Bengal run graduate programmes (B.A., B. Sc., and B.Com.).
Courses of Study in Campus
The university offers two year M.Sc. programmes in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Zoology, Botany, Bio-technology, Anthropology, Geography and Microbiology. The university also offers a three year M.C.A programme.The concerned departments of the university offer a two year Masters programme (M.A.) in English, Bengali, Nepali, Hindi , Economics, History, Philosophy, Sociology, Political Science, and Strategic and Area Studies. University also offers M.Com, MBA, LLB, LLM, B.Lib and Information Sciences.
University has a one year P.G. Diploma programme in Management, Marketing Management, Tourism& Hotel Management, Environmental Law, Information Tech. ( IT ), Disaster Management, Mass Communication & Video Production, Museum Studies & Cultural Tourism. University has started a diploma course in French Language and Certificate Course in Electronic Instrumentation & Data Handling.
The University Museum
Akshaya Kumar Maitreya Heritage Museum incorporating Raja Rajaram Museum Collection was established in the University of North Bengal in February 1965. The Museum has now become a rich repository of collection in sculpture, coins, paintings, manuscripts etc. depicting the history and Heritage of North Bengal. It functions as a regional museum and is one of the few University Museums in India. The main objects of the Museum are to collect, preserve and study archaeological relics lying scattered in the six Districts of North Bengal and Sub-Himalayan Region.